link --> PSAC Social Justice Fund Website
The promotion of the right to decent work, quality public services, human rights and equality are cornerstones of the PSAC Social Justice Fund. Through education, mobilization and empowerment, PSAC's Social Justice Fund works to advance the role of our members in building stronger communities, a better country and a more just and humane world.
In 2003, PSAC's National Board of Directors created the Social Justice Fund to house the work in five priority areas:
- Humanitarian relief in Canada and around the world;
- Anti-poverty initiatives in Canada;
- International Labour Development;
- Worker-to-Worker Exchanges;
- Worker Education in Canada and around the world.
Then, in the spring of 2003, delegates to the PSAC Triennial Convention resolved to make the SJF a bargaining priority for all units in order to sustain the SJF over the long term.
PSAC has joined a long list of Canadian unions that have set up a labour fund to house their work in social justice at home and around the world, including, Canadian Auto Workers, Canadian Union of Postal Workers Communications, Canadian Union of Public Employees, Canadian Union of Energy and Paperworkers, and the United Steelworkers.
PSAC's Social Justice Fund is governed by the PSAC Social Justice Fund Board (SJFB), which consists of all the members of PSAC's National Board of Directors. The SJFB meets once per year to establish and approve the parameters and guidelines for the partners and projects to be supported by the SJF over the following year.
SJF Steering Committee
The Social Justice Fund Steering Committee has two major tasks:
- to serve as an advisory committee to the Social Justice Fund Board, and to develop the parameters and guidelines to be approved annually by the SJF; and
- to administer the SJF and approve specific projects and programs within the parameters approved by the SJFB.
The SJF Steering Committee is currently composed of:
- Chris Aylward – PSAC National President
- Marianne Hladun – PSAC Regional Executive Vice-President, Prairies
- Marc Brière, National President, Union of Taxation Employees (UTE)
- Gayla Thunstrom - President, Union of Northern Workers (UNW)