UNW 18th Triennial Convention: 2021
The UNW 18th Triennial Convention was originally scheduled for October 2020, but had to be rescheduled due to pandemic restrictions.
Please visit the 2020 Convention page for information from 2020.
A decision will be made later in 2021 on whether the Convention will be in person or virtual.
On this page:
- Convention Call Out
- Important Dates and Deadlines
- Delegates to Convention
- Observers to Convention
- Regional Vice President Elections
- Important Documents and Forms
Friday, January 15, 2021:
The Convention Call out for the re-scheduled UNW 18th Triennial Convention has been sent to all UNW Local Presidents.
Important information on the election of delegates, delegate entitlement, and resolution deadlines is included in the Call Letter:
Deadline for Local Alternate elections - April 15th
Deadline for Locals to submit Resolutions – June 15, 2021
- Note: Resolutions will only be accepted from Locals, not from individual members
Deadline for Locals to submit names of Local-funded Observer - July 15th
Delegate elections completed by Locals in 2020 will stand and do not need to be redone.
If you were elected as a delegate and are no longer able or eligible to attend, please contact your Local President ASAP to ensure that an alternate can take your seat.
Alternates are members who are elected to attend convention in the event that an elected delegate is no longer able to attend:
- alternates must be elected at a general membership meeting
- the meeting must be advertised publicly for 30 days in advance
- the meeting must be for the sole purpose of electing delegates and/or alternates
Alternates should be elected at the same time as delegates. However, if necessary, they can be elected up to 48 hours before Convention starts. Check with your RVP.
Locals can elect any number of alternates, and must prioritize the elected alternates by way of number of votes; Locals must include the prioritization when submitting names to HQ.
It is recommended that Locals elect at least as many alternates as delegates.
Elected alternates must be members in good standing a minimum of 30 days prior to the election.
Locals may choose to elect their alternates as Local-funded observers (see section below). This must be part of the motion electing the alternate/observers.
Fully Funded Observers
Fully funded observers are those who the Local has agreed to pay for their expenses to attend the Convention (i.e. travel, accommodations, lost wages, Convention fee, etc.)
If Locals wish to send fully funded observes to convention:
- members must be elected at a general membership meeting
- names (with meeting minutes and/or written confirmation from the Local President) must be provided to the UNW Director of Finance & Administration no later than July 15.
Any signed UNW member in good standing is entitled to attend the UNW Convention as a regular observer, dependent on venue capacity.
If you wish to attend as a self-funded observer:
- You are responsible for your own expenses (i.e. travel, accommodations, lost wages, Convention fee, etc.)
- If you wish to receive Convention matierals, you must register with the UNW Director of Finance & Administration and pay the your convention fees no later than July 15.
- If you have NOT pre-registered, we cannot guarantee you entry to the Convention
- Letter to Locals Re: Reminder about Submission of Resolutions - April 29, 2021 (pdf)
- UNW Bylaw 14 - Sections on submitting Resolutions (pdf)
- 2021 Convention Resolutions Form (fillable pdf)
Only Locals can submit resolutions to Convention.
Deadline to submit resolutions: June 15th, 2021.
All resolutions must be individually moved/seconded, fully debated, and passed at a Local General Membership meeting with appropriate advertising notice.
RVP elections concluded April 2020.
Candidates elected from this election will continue their term until 2023 Convention. The following RVP positions are vacant, will be up for election, and successful candidates will fill the position immediately, with their terms ending at 2023 Convention:
- RVP Kimberlite
- RVP Hay River
- RVP North Great Slave
- 2021 Convention Resolutions Form (pdf)
- 2021 Alternate Credentials Form (pdf)
- 2021 Observers Credentials Form (pdf)
- 2021 Release of Personal Information Consent Form (for Delegates and Alternates) (pdf)
See section on deadlines above.