Bargaining Updates are listed below, beginning with the most recent:
June 23, 2021
GNWT Ratification Meetings and Voting
Registration for Ratification Meetings:
You must register for and attend one of the scheduled Ratification Meetings (Information Session) to be eligible to vote.
Additionally, you must be a signed member in good standing in order to be eligible to attend a Ratification Meeting - meaning, you must have completed the UNW Membership Application:
- UNW Membership Application (fillable PDF)
You must register for a Ratification Vote Meeting (schedule and registration links below) with a personal email. You will receive a link to your meeting after you register.
If you do not have a personal email address, please contact the PSAC Yellowknife Regional Office at:
- YelAdmin@psac-afpc.com or 867.873.5670 or toll free at: 1.800.661.0870. The Regional Office will assist you with registering for a meeting.
Registering with a work email will result in your registration being denied; you will be asked to re-register with a personal email.
NOTE: To ensure that your attendance is confirmed, each member must register individually for the Information Session, even if you reside in the same household with other bargaining unit members.
Please click the links below to register for the Ratification Meeting of your choice.
- Monday, June 28, 5:30 PM
- Wednesday, June 30, 12:00 PM (NOON)
- Tuesday, July 6, 12:00 PM (NOON)
- Thursday, July 8, 5:30 PM
- Monday, July 12, 5:30 PM
- Wednesday, July 14, 12:00 PM (NOON)
- Thursday, July 22, 12:00 PM (NOON)
- Wednesday, July 28, 5:30 PM
- Thursday, August 5, 12:00 PM (NOON)
- Thursday, August 12, 5:30 PM
- Join the Zoom session a few minutes early to make sure you can log in and address technical issues.
- The best way to access the Information Session is online.
- Telephone: Please do not join by phone unless you have no other option, as you will not have access to the full presentation or “chat” function, and your attendance will not be automatically recorded in Zoom. However, if telephone is your only option, please do not hesitate to call in on one of the numbers provided in your confirmation message.
You will receive your vote information with your individual voting PIN (personal identification number) via your personal email (if we have that email address on file).
This email will be sent June 24-25 by Intelivote Systems Inc., the company authorized to conduct the vote. If you do not receive the email with your PIN by Saturday, June 26, 2021, check your junk mail, then please contact the PSAC Yellowknife Regional Office at:
- YelAdmin@psac-afpc.com or 867-873-5670, or toll free at: 1.800.661.0870
You do not need your voter PIN to register for Ratification Meeting, but please register early.
If we do not have your personal email, you will receive a package with your PIN by regular mail. If you do not have a personal email address and would like to receive your PIN faster than regular mail, please contact the PSAC Yellowknife Regional Office.
** Your vote will not be counted unless you have attended the entire mandatory Ratification Meeting.
The instructions on how to vote will be provided during the meeting and again together with your confirmation of attendance email from Intelivote. You can vote by secret ballot with your PIN any time after attending an Information Session; but only if you vote before the ratification process closes at 11:59 p.m. (MDT) on August 15, 2021.
June 16, 2021
GNWT Ratification Update
Next week, information packages which will include information on the tentative agreement, letters explaining the Ratification process, as well as a Confidential PIN and instructions on how to register and participate in the process, will be sent to:
- The personal email address for members who have one on file with the UNW
- The home address on file at the UNW for those members who do not have a personal email address on file at the UNW
Ratification meetings will take place from June 28th to August 13th. The final day to cast a ballot for those who attend a Ratification meeting will be August 15th. We have developed this schedule with a view to providing plenty of opportunities for all members to attend a Ratification meeting in order to be eligible to cast a ballot, while recognizing our geographical and technological issues faced by our membership.
In accordance with the PSAC Constitution, you must attend one of the scheduled Ratification Meetings to be eligible to vote. Additionally, you must be a signed member in good standing in order to be eligible to attend a Ratification Meeting - meaning, you must have completed the UNW Membership Application:
- UNW Membership Application (fillable PDF)
For Questions about the Ratification process, please contact:
PSAC Yellowknife Regional Office
Toll Free: 1-800-661-0870
For Questions about the Tentative Agreement, please contact:
Your UNW Local President or Regional Vice President
Contact information can be found on our Contacts Page.
For Questions regarding your membership status or to provide updated contact information, please contact:
Union of Northern Workers
Toll Free: 1-877-906-4447
May 31, 2021
UNW and GNWT issued joint media release regarding tentative agreement:
UNW communique sent to GNWT members on May 31:
April 16, 2021
UNW and GNWT issued joint media release regarding collective bargaining:
April 13-15, 2021
The bargaining team met with the employer to exchange proposals.
The bargaining team met with the employer to discuss preliminary matters such as process.
August 2020 – March 2021:
UNW and PSAC staff compiled proposals received from the Locals, combining similar proposals and confirming meeting minutes.
The bargaining team met on numerous dates to review the prioritized proposals from Locals, and further prioritized proposals into a manageable package.
UNW and PSAC staff formatted proposals into bargaining language and prepared for meeting with the employer.
** On November 26, 2020, the UNW served Notice to Bargain to the employer.
March – July 2020:
Local bargaining committees met to review all proposals, surveys, and input received from members.
Local committees then prioritized their top 5 proposals and submitted to UNW HQ to compile for the bargaining team.
Your UNW Bargaining Team:
- Gail Lem, PSAC Negotiator
- John Demptser, RVP Beaufort-Delta Sahtu
- Christina Holman, RVP Deh Cho
- Lauraine Armstrong, RVP Fort Smith
- Josée-Anne Spirito, RVP Somba K'e
- Sean Dalton, UNW 2nd Vice President
- Gayla Thunstrom, UNW 1st Vice President
- Todd Parsons, UNW President
Bargaining Team Technical Support
- Laneydi Martinez Alfonso, PSAC Research Officer
- Shawn Vincent, PSAC Research Officer
- Anne Marie Thistle, UNW Director of Membership Services
- Caitlin Lacey, Assistant to UNW President
February 7, 2020
Have an idea about how to make your collective agreement better? Check out our guide for writing bargaining proposal suggestions.
Forms are due Friday, February 14!
January 9, 2020
We need your voice!
This time around, the UNW is adding an extra step to the beginning of the bargaining input process:
You can write directly to your Union and identify what is important to you.
Copies of the Bargaining Input Survey and Bargaining Proposal Suggestion forms, as well as details on how to complete and submit the forms are in the mail and on our website:
Visit the GNWT Bargaining Input page for more information.
January 7, 2020
The Collective Agreement between the UNW and the GNWT expires March 31, 2021.
Stay tuned for updates as we begin the bargaining process!